Shirish (Albizzia lebbeck) (Woman's tongue; Rattle pod) :
It is available in the markets in powder, and capsule form.
- Reduces all three faults (doshas) (as per Ayurved there are three doshas or faults, Kapha, Pitta, and Vata).
- It is an astringent.
- Used in Asthma and Bronchitis. Helps reduce and control the frequency of asthma attacks.
- Used in treating eosinophilia.
- The fresh leaves have anti-tubercular properties.
- Clears up and neutralizes toxins and poisons.
- Helps cure allergies.
- Has anti-histaminic action.
- Helps clear up the skin and skin infections. Used in eczema and urticaria. (Urticaria commonly referred to as hives is an allergic reaction which is usually raised bumps on the skin or rashes, with redness, usually itchy).
- It has anti-fungal, anti-microbial properties.
- Used in treating worm infestation.
- The pods and seed have anti-protozoal qualities.
- Helps treat pruritus (itching).
- Helps clear cough.
- Helps in controlling chronic cold, flu and allergic rhinitis.
- It is used to treat boils.
- Used to treat dysentery and diarrhea.
- The root is used to treat Hemicrania (half-head headaches).
- Provides nutrition to the body.
- It increases the libido (vajikaran).
- Its flowers are used to increase sexual stamina.
- Helps in treating urinary retention.
- It is said to have hypocholesterolemic effects and thus would be helpful to those having elevated levels of cholesterol.
- It is a cardiac tonic.
- Helps in rheumatism.
- The seeds are used as a paste on the throat to cure throat problems.
- The decoction of the bark is used as gargle to strengthen the teeth and heal gingivitis.
- It is also used to treat the eye.
- It is used to treat abdominal tumors.
- Used in treating paralysis.
- Used in the treatment of Leprosy.
- Helps in treating pectoral problems.
- The bark and seeds are used in piles.
- In vitro studies indicate that the leaves have anti-bacterial action.
- In vitro studies: A saponin from seeds exhibited spermicidal activity. Extract of pods was found to be spermicidal against rat and human spermatozoa.