Arjun (Terminalia Arjuna) ; Bark of the tree is used.
Available in the markets as Arjunarishta in liquid form, in the form of a powder, and extract in capsule form.
- Improves functioning of the heart.
- For lowering Blood Pressure
- Used in Hypertension, Heart attack, Myocardial Infarction, Angina, Coronary artery disease.
- Helps in lowering cholesterol levels substantially.
- As a supplement and preventive in Ischemic heart disease (reduced blood supply to the heart).
- Has prostaglandin enhancing and coronary threat modulating properties.
- For lowering Hypertriglycerides in blood, Arjun enhances the taking away of cholesterol by accelerating the turnover of LDL or low density lipoprotein cholesterol in the liver.
- Arjun lowers beta-lipoprotein lipids and revives the High Density Lipoprotein mechanism in hyperlipidemia and in hypercholesterolemia.
- Promotes effective cardiac performance by regulating blood pressure and cholesterol levels.
- Strengthen the heart Muscles.
- Helps reduce hardening of the arteries that could lead to atherosclerosis.
- Benefits by helping reverse the impaired function of the endothelium of smokers that could lead to atherosclerosis.
- Reduces the effects of stress and nervousness on the heart.
- After Heart attack regular use of Arjun decreases the chances of another attack.
- Traditionally, use of Arjun for heart disease, is recommended, to be prepared with milk, according to the Ksheer pak vidhi.
- Possesses diuretic properties and has a general tonic outcome in cases of liver cirrhosis.
- Has an anti-oxidant effect.
- Used in treating cough and chest related problems.
- For treating poisoning and scorpion poison.
- Reduces Kapha and Pitta.
- It is used in Ulcers and bone fractures externally.
- Works like an anti-viral and prevents HSV-2. Also purported to be used in AIDS.
- A substance Causrinin in Arjun helps prevent breastcancer. The anti-cancer, anti-mutagenic effects of Arjun are being researched.
- In my experience tends to aggravate Hyperacidity. (It was given in Capsule form for bloodpressure, twice a day to a patient who had a long standing hyperacidity problem which became extremely aggravated after 15 days of use.)